A few years back I saw a video that really inspired me. The video was by Ira Glass, an American public radio personality and host of This American Life.
The video is all about storytelling and doing creative work. One of the things he talks about in this video is the idea that we all want to do great work. It doesn’t matter what industry we’re in. Maybe it’s writing a book, maybe it’s launching a podcast, maybe it’s putting out video content or improving our marketing. But most of us won’t produce great work out of the gate.
We all have to start somewhere and do the work – and at first the work might be bad. It might be really bad. But if you don’t actually do the work, it’s not going to happen and you’re not going to have that success that you really want to. You’ve got to get through doing really bad work to get to the great stuff!
- Great work doesn’t happen overnight. We all have to start somewhere.
- You have to go through actually creating work to get better.
- We shouldn’t compare ourselves to other people
- You can read the books, you can listen to the videos, you can go to events, you can get all fired up…but if you don’t actually do the work, it’s not going to happen
- Ira Glass on the Creative Process
- Do you have ideas for topics for our podcast for 2020? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit me at KatieLance.com for more info about my speaking, consulting and our #GetSocialSmart Academy (use the promo code PODCAST to save $30/month)
- Follow me on Instagram for more behind-the-scenes into my life and business @katielance (Enjoying this podcast? Tag me on IG and let me know!)