This podcast episode is the back-story of how I became so inspired with online learning that it helped transform our business by creating our #GetSocialSmart Academy. I was inspired early on from online marketing pioneer, Laura Roeder who is now the founder of MeetEdgar. I remember listening to webinars she hosted nearly a decade ago and being blown away and thought to myself, “This is such a great way to learn. Here I am in my home office and fuzzy slippers. I would love to run a business one day and be able to offer this type of learning!”
Fast-forward to my first webinar I ever hosted back when I worked for Inman News. I was so nervous and quickly realized how different webinars were from speaking onstage. But here’s the truth – we live in an on-demand world with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and others. Not only that – but attention is truly the name of the game. When someone signs up for your webinar and then they choose to attend live – they are choosing to spend an hour with you. That is a really big deal!
This epiphany inspired our first iteration of #GetSocialSmart – our first 6-week course which was cobbled together with Go To Meeting, Dropbox, Mailchimp – but guess what? It worked! And, more importantly it served a huge need. In our next episode, you will hear more about that story!
- Give people more than they expect. Under promise and over deliver.
- Find your voice. Be brave and vulnerable.
- The riches are in the niches. When you lean into who you are and who you are not – so much is possible!
- Visit me at KatieLance.com for more info about my speaking, consulting and our #GetSocialSmart Academy
- Follow me on Instagram for more behind-the-scenes into my life and business @katielance (Enjoying this podcast? Tag me on IG and let me know!)
- Check out MeetEdgar *affiliate link