The way you hone your professional message depends largely on what is most significant to your audience members and current as well as potential client base. But how do you evaluate that in a smart and targeted manner?
Enter Facebook’s Audience Insights, which allows you to learn about your audience’s geographic location as well as their interest and behaviors, thereby allowing you to focus your messaging to best catch their attention. Audience Insights is designed to help you gather information about where your audience lives, works and conducts business as well as insight about their consumer behavior.
Here are just a few of the specific data that you’ll glean from using Audience Insights:
- Demographics: Age/gender, lifestyle, education, relationship status, job role and household size
- Page likes: The top Pages that your audience members like
- Location and language: Geographic location and languages spoken
- Facebook usage: How frequently is your target audience logging into Facebook? What devices are they using?
- Purchase activity: Behavior and methods. This can be seen for three different groups:
- General Facebook audience
- People connected to your Page or event
- People in Custom Audiences that you’ve already created
So how does Audience Insights differ from Page Insights?
It evaluates trends about current or potential customers on Facebook while Page Insights concentrates more heavily on the likes, comments, shares and other interactions with your Page. When introducing Audience Insights, Facebook said they built it “with privacy in mind. It surfaces aggregated information people already express on Facebook. … (showing) information about groups of people without the need to share which individual people are in those groups. This allows marketers to view and aggregate anonymous insights while keeping peoples’ personal information private.”
To learn about an audience with Audience Insights:
- Go to the Audience Insights page.
- Choose an audience to view.
- If you have multiple accounts, select the one you wish to view.
- Use the filters at left to define your audience or work with the interactive graphs to refine your audience.
- Click Save.
- Name your audience. You’ll also be able to edit this audience later.
How can you use Audience Insights to set up a Facebook Ad?
To create an ad using an audience from Audience Insights, simply click on ‘Create Ad’ in the top-right corner of the Audience Insights page. From there, you can choose to use the Ad Creator or Power Editor to create your ad. Both tools will automatically pull in your pre-designated audience, allowing you to target your ads to these groups. This route of ad creation is a great way to narrow down your audience to your target demographic and in turn see greater results from your ad dollars.